Several Crossroads area employers make the list.
By Mike Lewis
Employees at Hub Labels in Hagerstown, Md., can take advantage of an onsite gym and trainer-led workouts.
At iHire in Frederick, Md., employees do some of their work while on the move during “walking meetings.”
Initiatives like those led the state to honor Hub Labels, iHire and other organizations, including many in the Crossroads Business Journal region, with wellness at work awards.
The program is sponsored by Healthiest Maryland Businesses, an initiative of the Maryland Department of Health Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control. The aim is to support healthy workplaces.
The award criteria are based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Workplace Health Model. Awards are presented in four levels: gold, silver, bronze and on the path (for companies making strides).
Hub Labels and iHire were among those receiving gold awards, the highest honor.
This is the second year Hub Labels has earned a gold award.
“Thomas Dahbura, the president of the company, feels very strongly about the impact he can provide” on employees’ health. “He really takes ownership,” said Carrie Aaron, human resources manager for Hub Labels.
To that end, the company has a wellness committee, and Dahbura “has a very substantial budget that he allows us to come up with different plans and programs for our employees,” Aaron said.
Those plans and programs take tangible shape.
“We have an onsite gym that is free and accessible to all employees. … We have fitness trainers who come in twice a week and do 30-minute workouts,” Aaron said.
Like many other companies, Hub offers insurance and employee assistance programs. It also offers educational programs that cover nutrition and other health-related topics. And it offers biometric screening and blood pressure checks.
Some of iHire’s efforts include: medical, dental, and vision insurance; a full-service employee assistance program; flexible scheduling; bi-weekly yoga classes; a stocked kitchen with healthy snacks; walking meetings and a wellness spending account that reimburses staff for wellness-related expenses.
“Addressing our employees’ wellbeing is nothing short of a priority,” Steve Flook, president and CEO, said in a news release about the award. “When everyone is healthy and happy, we are more productive, agile, and innovative. Earning recognition like the Gold Wellness at Work Award inspires our staff to support our efforts while helping us build on our historic company growth.”
The news release notes that iHire’s monthly employee surveys continuously show high marks for employee wellness, happiness, personal growth and recognition.
This marks iHire’s third straight gold-level honor.
Applicants are asked to describe activities and share examples of policies and tools developed and utilized in the four areas of assessment: planning, management, implementation, and evaluation. Employers may earn a Gold, Silver, Bronze, or On the Path Award based on their activities to establish leadership support for wellness, create wellness committees, survey the needs and interests of their employees, set health improvement goals, and develop monitoring tools to track their outcomes over time.
This year’s honorees
Gold award winners
• Adventist Healthcare
• Atlantic General Hospital
• Battelle National Biodefense Institute
• Calvert Health
• Calvin B. Taylor Bank
• CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
• CBIZ Inc.
• Charles County Department of Health
• Choptank Transport
• Doctors Community Hospital
• Easton Utilities
• Everbright Pacific LLC dba
• Wisp Resort
• Fahrney-Keedy Senior Living Community
• Frederick County Health Department
• Frederick County Public Schools
• Frederick Memorial Hospital
• Hub Labels
• Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States Inc.
• Legal & General America
• MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital
• Mental Health Association
• Montgomery County Public Schools
• Perdue Farms
• Staples Distribution Center
• The Arc of Washington Inc.
• The Emmes Company LLC
• Union Hospital of Cecil County
• University of Maryland, Baltimore
• Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission
Silver award winners
• AHEC West
• American Woodmark
• Carroll County Health Department
• Charles County Government
• City of College Park
• Corporate Office Properties Trust
• County Commissioners of Queen Anne’s County
• Garrett College
• Garrett County Government
• Garrett County Public Schools
• Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center
• Howard County Government
• Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort Spa & Marina
• Jubilee Association of Maryland
• Montgomery County Government
• Prince George’s Community College
• Saval Foods Corporation
• Venable LLP
• Washington County Health Department
Bronze award winners
• Allegany College of Maryland
• Charles County Public Schools
• Choptank Electric Cooperative Inc.
• City of Salisbury
• Dorchester County Department of Social Services
• Garrett Regional Medical Center
• Hood College
• Lower Shore Friends, Inc
• Maryland Public Television
• Nymeo Federal Credit Union
• Plamondon Companies
• UM St. Joseph Medical Center
• University of Maryland Faculty Physicians, Inc
• Western Maryland Hospital Center
• Wicomico County Public Schools
On the Path award winner
• Leidos Biomedical Research Inc.