Here are our bottom-line views about a few items of note in the Crossroads Business Journal region:
• Keep an eye on the general assemblies, particularly in Maryland and West Virginia as the lawmakers push toward their finish lines this spring.
• Congratulations to Akonni Biosystems, a Frederick, Md., firm that has received a $3 million, three-year Small Business Innovation Research contract from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health.
• Tip of the cap to Philip Fague, William Happel, Nancy Meyers and Cheryl Plummer. The four, from Summit Health in Franklin County, Pa., have been named to WellSpan Health’s 2019 board of directors. We’re glad to see that representation after Summit became part of WellSpan on Nov. 1.
• Kudos and thanks to Dr. Irakli Mania, who was named the Pennsylvania Medical Society’s Everyday Hero Award winner for January. An addiction psychiatrist, he has spent the past 10 years helping patients in Franklin County recover from opioid use disorder and other mental health issues.
• Mark your calendars to help the Washington County Chamber of Commerce continue to celebrate its 100th anniversary this year. Some big dates on the schedule include: April 26, Culture & Cocktails, hosted by the Washington County Historical Society; May 18, Centennial Celebration at the Rider Jet Center; Sept. 26, Centennial Annual Meeting, Fountain Head Country Club.
Write us: Letters to the Editor, Crossroads Business Journal,
100 Summit Ave., Hagerstown, MD 21740;
Letters should include your name, hometown and daytime phone
number. Letters should be limited to no more than 300 words
and should pertain to a business topic. Crossroads Business Journal reserves the right to edit all Letters to the Editor.