HAGERSTOWN, Md. — Callas Contractors is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year.
Founded on Feb. 28, 1958, by the late Michael G. Callas, some of the company’s earliest clients were the C&P Telephone Co., Teledyne Landis Co. and North American Cement Corp.
Callas earned a full scholarship to Johns Hopkins University and served in World War II before returning to his hometown of Hagerstown and starting the company.
Through the years he shared his prosperity with the employees and the community by working on projects for schools, the YMCA, Boy Scouts, Children’s Village, United Way and others. Callas was The Herald-Mail’s 2000 Person of the Year for his four decades of service to Hagerstown and Washington County, both in business and public service.
Callas died in 2004. But Callas Contractors carries on the vision molded by its founder. The Michael G. Callas Charitable Trust continues to make humanitarian contributions that benefit the Cumberland Valley.
In a news release, the company noted that many of its employees have shown loyalty and longevity, with many having from 35 to 45 years of service with Callas Contractors.
Among the notable landmarks built include: Washington County Hospital, Waynesboro Hospital, Smithsburg High School, Mike Callas Stadium at North Hagers-
town High School, North Hagerstown High School, James Buchanan High School, Maryland Ribbon Company, FedEx Freight, Potomac Towers and many buildings at Fort Ritchie and on the Hagerstown Community College campus.