Our bottom-line thoughts on some items of note in the Crossroads Business Journal area:
• A sincere thank you to all those involved in agriculture in our region, from the farmers to the processors to the equipment dealers. Without farms, we would have no food. May your pursuits continue to ripen and yield a bountiful harvest.
• Congratulations to Innovative Inc. for earning Blue partner status with Datto, a leading provider of data protection solutions for businesses.
• We were disappointed to see Maryland rank No. 1 on Kiplinger’s list of the least tax-friendly states. For reference, Wyoming was ranked the most tax-friendly state. Kiplinger’s annual tax map lists West Virginia among the tax-friendly states, and reports mixed tax pictures for Pennsylvania and Virginia.
• Good luck to the city of Frostburg, which has purchased the former Au Petit Paris French restaurant downtown with the hopes of spurring some private investment.
• Kudos to this year’s winners in the Excellence in Construction awards sponsored by the Associated Builders and Contractors Inc. Cumberland Valley chapter.
• Federal tax reform remains a bit of a muddle. We hope a clear-eyed, detailed proposal surfaces soon. We also hope it doesn’t become a political football, but we have no illusions about that.
• Congrats to those who took home well-earned awards from the Washington County Chamber of Commerce’s 98th annual meeting. The Distinguished Service Award went to Bushey Feight Morin Architects, and Chamber Appreciation Awards went to Anne Martin of Children in Need; Jon-Thomas Vitale of Complete Document Solutions; Jason Rappaport of Innovative Inc.; and James Stone of Kane Wilburn & Stone.
Letters to the editor welcome
Write us: Letters to the Editor, Crossroads Business Journal,100 Summit Ave., Hagerstown, MD 21740; or email@example.com. Letters should include your name, hometown and daytime phone number. Letters should be limited to no more than 300 words and should pertain to a business topic. Crossroads Business Journal reserves the right to edit all Letters to the Editor.