Our bottom-line views on recent news in the Crossroads Business Journal region:
• Thanks to the Washington County (Md.) Chamber of Commerce and the other sponsoring businesses and organizations behind last month’s annual Economic Summit. It’s always good to hear the annual insights of economist Anirban Basu, president and CEO of the Sage Policy Group.
• Congratulations to AC&T, and the Fulton family that’s behind the Washington County-based business, which has reached its 60th anniversary. The company is known for its convenience stores and other ventures.
• While we’re at it, happy birthday to iHire of Frederick, Md., for reaching its 20th anniversary. The company uses technology to connect job candidates with employers.
• Kudos to Oliver Homes, a regional residential builder with headquarters near Hagerstown, Md., for receiving the 2019 Builder of Integrity award from Quality Builders Warranty Corp.
• Best wishes to Warehouse Cinemas, the first tenant for the newly named District 40, the formerly vacant Frederick (Md.) Towne Mall.
• Keep your eyes on what happens as Quad/Graphics looks to sell its U.S. book business, including a facility in Martinsburg, W.Va. The company is implement a transformation plan.
• Congrats to Western Maryland Health System of Cumberland, Md., which was ranked among the top 10% in the nation for cardiac surgery. It’s the only hospital in Maryland to achieve the Cardiac Surgery Specialty Excellence Award for six years in a row (2015-2020).