HAGERSTOWN, Md. — The Cumberland Valley Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors Inc. recently recognized the most innovative and high-quality construction projects and safety programs in the Tri-State area during a program in Hagers- town, Md.
One of the highlights of the night was the Doey’s House project, which won first place in the health care category. Representatives from Brechbill and Helman and Hospice of Washington County were present to accept the award.
Doey’s House, a 16,400-square-foot project, had an initial contract of $4.9 million and was built with funds raised from the community and in-kind donations.
The project was going well and on schedule until November 2016, when the building caught fire and burned to the ground. With support of the community and construction firms it was built a second time. In September 2017, the Hospice center finally had its grand opening.
All the winning projects will be eligible to compete in the National ABC Excellence in Construction competition. The competition is designed to show the highest quality of safety and workmanship.
Other regional winners included:
• Morgan-Keller Construction, for the Hagerstown Community College Learning Resource Center.
• Warner Construction, for the Bishop McNamara High School – Andy Mona ‘82 Student Center.
• Warner Construction, for the Frederick Motor Co.
• Waynesboro Construction Co. Inc., for Union Mills – Phase I.
• Waynesboro Construction Co. Inc., for the Aspen Ridge Professional Center.
National Safety Awards were presented to Cumberland Valley Chapter contractors. These Safety Training and Evaluation Process awards recognize the efforts of ABC members who strive to achieve effective safety practices at their firms and provide contractors with a tool to objectively evaluate their safety programs, policies, procedures and training. The program was developed and written by contractors, for contractors.
Certificates were presented to:
• Waynesboro Construction Co. Inc.
• Brechbill & Helman Construction Co. Inc.
• GRC General Contractor.
• Baxter Group Inc.
• Callas Contractors.
• Morgan-Keller Construction.
• Stouffer Mechanical Contractor LLC.
• Tradesmen International.
• Ellsworth Electric Inc.
• R.W. Warner Inc.
• MS Johnston Co. Inc.