Trip to Social Security might not be needed in some cases

Social Security is constantly evolving to make customers’ lives easier.

For those currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and are reapplying for benefits, or are assisting someone with their application, a trip to the Social Security office is probably not necessary —even if verification of Social Security benefits is needed.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Recertification Application for Housing Assistance can use the Enterprise Income Verification System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public-housing agencies, private owners and management agents administering HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging onto the following websites: or

New applicants for housing assistance can provide HUD administrators with a Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment notice, SSA-1099 or other SSA benefit document he or she should have received at the beginning of the calendar year, or when he or she began receiving benefits, whichever is later.

We created these data-exchange agreements to help customers get the support they need at the first point of contact, even if that’s not with Social Security.

There are other ways to save a trip to Social Security. Instant benefit verification letters are available online with a personal My Social Security account at